Monday, December 20, 2010

Pam's Presence - Minister's Column January 2011

Acts of Service

In my two decades of work experience, I have had a great many different kinds of jobs. It may surprise you to know that I have been a summer camp counselor, an executive assistant, a ballet teacher, a file clerk, a night warehouse worker at FAO Schwarz, a performance artist, a finance assistant, a nanny, a hospice chaplain, a cutlery salesperson, a Reiki practitioner, and a home health caregiver.

I have worked in many different industries from a nonprofit homelessness organization to a multi-million dollar media brokerage firm. While some people can draw a straight line from their schooling to their career, mine is more of a zigzag line with loops and turns all along the way. Now that I’ve found my place in church ministry, I’m learning to be okay with that zigzag path, although for many years I felt like I would never find my way.

The one area that has always eluded me is waitressing. Despite attempts and failed interviews, I have never been able to land a job as a waitress. I’m not sure what I lack, but apparently there is something.

Well, that’s all about to change. This year I am one of the wait staff for the 25th Annual Celebrity Waiter Night for HOPE, Inc. That’s right. I’m going to be a waitress…and apparently a “celebrity” waitress at that.

So mark your calendars for Tuesday, February 1, 2011, between 5:00 pm-8:00 pm at First United Methodist Church in Denton. I’ll be serving the earlier shift, so if you want to see my debut, you will want to come early.

For only $10, you will enjoy delicious food from Metzler’s BBQ (served by “celebrity” wait staff…like me), mingle with others from our fine Denton community, and in doing so supporting HOPE, Inc. an important resource that assists homeless families in achieving self-sufficiency in Denton.

As the weather gets colder, the lives of our homeless Denton residents have been on my mind. There are a great many ways that we can support them including preparing/serving food and cleaning up at Our Daily Bread and helping Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in their emergency shelter program which provides shelter when the temperatures drop to 27 degrees and below.

I hope that many among our congregation will joyfully lend their hearts and hands to help those who are most impacted by the cold this winter. And I hope you will give me the honor of serving you dinner on February 1st.

In faith,
Rev. Pam