Saturday, February 19, 2011

Minister's Column (March 2011 Newsletter Content)

If weather is any indication, then spring is certainly on its way. As I write this, it is in the mid-70’s outside with the sun shining brightly. Of course, we are in Texas so by the time you get this we could be in a hail, snow, or some other severe weather event. As we make our way toward spring, we come into an important season for me. In the Christian calendar the season of Lent, which starts on Ash Wednesday (this year on March 9), marks a time of introspection, self-assessment and re-centering. In the my Catholic childhood Lent was a time to give up something. It was a time to sacrifice. As an adult I see the wisdom in that ritual and now take the opportunity to give up something that I am better off without. Some years it is emotional eating. Some years it is biting sarcasm. One year I gave up television for Lent and then realized I didn’t need the thing at all! As we come into this late winter season, I invite you to consider this practice of giving up something that you would be better off without. In this way I hope that each us may experience the transformation of spring with a renewed sense of purpose, energy and spirit.

In Faith,
Pam