Monday, March 7, 2011

One more opportunity to add to the hope!

Dear DUUF Community,

I want to extend my deep gratitude to all who helped with Sunday's special service dedicated to Denton County Friends of the Family!

Linda Sagaribay and Jackie Gibbons started us off in a beautiful multigenerational singing of "How Could Anyone" (How could anyone ever tell you, you were anything less than beautiful? How could anyone ever tell you, you were less than whole? How could anyone fail to notice that your loving is a miracle? How deeply you're connected to my soul.).

Friends of the Family Board Member, Deborah Cosimo, shared that in 2010, they served over 10,600 women, children, and men, and answered more than 2,400 crisis line calls.

Amber Briggle played guitar and sang the Dixie Chicks song "I Hope" with its strong anti-violence message and reminding us that "our children are watching us/They put their trust in us/They're gonna be like us/So let's learn from our history/And do it differently."

And I shared how my religious beliefs led to my experience of family violence and how my beliefs now liberate me from violence.

If you weren't able to join us this morning, it is not too late to offer your support. Through this week you can drop off or mail contributions to DUUF at 1111 Cordell Street, Denton, Texas 76201. Please be sure to designate that the gift is for Friends of the Family.

Friends of the Family provides a necessary service in our community, literally saving lives by offering services to protect from and prevent domestic violence and sexual assault in our community. I am proud to be a part of a congregation who has stepped up so generously to help Friends of the Family to meet their $100,000 shortfall and I know that there is still more dollars to be raised. I hope that they are able to meet their financial requirements to sustain their services so that we all continue to work together to create the reality described in the Dixie Chicks' song, "I Hope":

"I hope, for more love, more joy and laughter
I hope, we'll have more than we'll ever need
I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly
And we can lose all the pain and misery
I hope, I hope"

In faith and love,
Rev. Pam