Director of Religious Education (half-time) Job Description
Denton Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (DUUF) is a growing, active and diverse congregation of approximately 100 adults and 40 children seeking a Director of Religious Education to lead our programs for children, youth, and adults. This position is half-time (approximately 20 hours per week) and year-round. The Director of the Religious Education program will work closely with the Religious Education Council and Minister to create a welcoming and nurturing physical and emotional learning environment and provide continuity for a strong religious education program for the children of DUUF.
1. Prepare for, coordinate, lead and support religious education programming and multigenerational activities for Denton Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.
2. Model and help to maintain a cooperative, nurturing environment for learning and faith development grounded in Unitarian Universalism.
3. The DRE, in consultation with the RE Council and the Minister, will set the priorities and direction of the congregation’s religious education program for children and youth from infancy through high school.
4. The DRE, will assist the Minister in establishing, preparing, and planning of Adult Religious Education meetings held currently on Wednesday evenings.
5. Organize and support ‘Coffee and Questions’ held from 8:30-9:30am.
6. Presence at the fellowship on most Sundays from 8:30am to 1:00pm to support teachers, manage RE Staff, orient new families, monitor classrooms, staff office and monitor RE tables as needed with committee members.
7. Record attendance of youth and adult RE programs and compile reports and serve as liaison between teachers, RE Council, and Congregation.
8. Process applications for new teachers (volunteer and paid) and orient new teachers to the classroom and to religious education at the Fellowship through teacher trainings.
9. Coordinate and manage professional childcare staff for Fellowship events.
10. Communicate to the congregation (to parents and/or the congregation as a whole) regarding current RE activities, future events and programs, questions, needs and concerns.
11. Write and email a bi-monthly or monthly newsletter to parents of children in the RE program.
12. Write and email a monthly newsletter to the congregation about offering of Adult RE.
13. Serve as an Ex-officio (non-voting) member of the Religious Education Council and keep the Council informed of activities and actions.
14. Participate in district events (including at least one of the following each year: SWUUC Spring Conference, SWUUC Fall Leadership Conference, national LREDA event, SWUUSI) and continuing education.
15. Process receipts for reimbursement weekly and report on budget to RE committee monthly.
16. Maintain office hours, follow up on phone calls, emails, and inbox communications. Write and mail letters, make copies as needed.
17. Organize, monitor and maintain supply closets, classrooms, and bulletin boards.
18. Report on the RE program at congregational meetings and to the Board as requested.
19. Notify a member of the supervising team prior to any absence and make arrangements for a substitute if needed.
The Director of Religious Education works alongside the RE Council and is responsible to the Board of Trustees. The Minister and/or the RE Council will supervise this position on a day-to-day basis. There will be a performance review between, May 1 and June 15, focused on goal setting and dialogue about program effectiveness, with a team consisting of the Chair of the Religious Education Council, the Board Member responsible for the Religious Education Council, and the Minister. Members of this team will be available when needed to discuss any performance or other issues.
1. Training and Experience working with children and adults in an educational and/or religious education setting
2. Enjoy engaging with children and teens with high energy, flexibility, and humor
3. Interest in supporting adult religious education
4. A Bachelor’s degree in education or related field
5. Strong organizational and administrative skills
6. High level of initiative, self-direction, and flexibility
7. Basic computer skills, including MS Word and Excel
8. Strong interpersonal skills and written and oral communication skills
9. Experience in coordinating and supporting volunteers
10. Knowledge of or willingness to become familiar with UU Religious Educational Curricula or experience leading a UU RE program is preferred
Compensation is dependent upon experience and commensurate with UUA guidelines for fair compensation. The salary is paid monthly. No benefits are provided. The Director of Religious Education will receive 6 Sundays off during the year.
Terms of Employment:
Appointment will be for a term of one year, July 1 through June 30, with annual review and opportunity for renewal. Compensation for this position is based on an expectation of a time commitment of about 20 hours per month.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Ilana Morgan, RE Chair
Denton Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
1111 Cordell St
Denton TX 76201
This information as a PDF.