Wednesday, December 23, 2015

What gives you hope?

On Sunday, December 20th, Rev. Pam asked us what gives us hope/peace/comfort during times of struggle. Here are those answers (from children and adults):

Cuddling with my small black kitten.
Playing on my iPad.
Running around.
Snuggling with my stuffed fluffy puppy.
I try to remember that things are going to be okay.
Running with a friend.
Laughter.
Camping.
That tomorrow offers a new start.
Rev. Pam.
Music.
Giving.
Friends.
Prayers.
Unity.
Community.
Music.
Going for a walk.
Making a gratitude list.
Being of service to others.
Being in nature.
Family, friends, faith.
Remembering things are working out perfectly.
Thinking of good things.
Getting things accomplished.
New buds on the trees.
My daughter.
Long walks.
Sharing food with loved ones.
This congregation.
My family gathering together (physically or via phone).
Mindfulness.
Community.
Love.
Nature.
Sun.
Garden.
Wild birds.
Walking.
Music.
Friends and family members.
The changing of the seasons.
Hugs from my family.
Cute animal videos.
Random acts of kindness.
Music.
Talking with family or friends.
Love from a pet.
Somebody saying they understand.
Cuddling.
Decompressing.
Singing.
Going into the woods.
Animals.
Plants
People (especially when I have the opportunity to help).
Music (especially when I can sing).
Doing ordinary tasks.
Movement-dance.
Reading.
Praying.
Writing and speaking...prophetically.
Family.
Close friends.
Music.
Family.
Friends.
Being around family.
playing with our dogs and seeing them become happy.
Listening to stories during services.
The whole of human history has been a slow, unsteady march towards greater justice, compassion and knowledge.
Children.
Faith in God.
My children.
Tomorrow is a new day.
Compassion I have and see in others.
My family.
Others are worse off than I and they don't give up.
This, too, shall pass.
If I give up, for sure the worst will happen. It's only because people keep trying that we'll get through this.
My daughter's smile and laughter.
The good things so many people do for each other.
Growing things.
Animals.
Singing with the choir.
Caroling to friends and neighbors.
My students (nurturing their hopes and plans for the future).
The knowledge that I can take action.
She's sitting to my left right now.
Remembering that all people want to be loved.
People who react with love and compassion, even when they have been hurt.
The sun comes up. A new day begins.
Friends and community.
The hero in each of us: the good in people that manifests during difficult times--the way people step up to help each other.
Nature.
Engaging in activities that give me positive energy.
Successes.
Making progress.
Supportive friends gives me hope.
The morning sun gives me hope.
A smile gives me hope.
Completing a task gives me hope.
Love gives me hope.
Touch.
Children.
Light.
Meditation.
Nature.
Kindness.
Community.
Art/music.
Cycles.
Ritual.
Self-nurturing.
Laughter with friends and family.
Words of affirmation from friends and family.
Happy music.
Watching my children grow.
Just knowing things will get better--they always do.
Cooking, creating good food.
Dancing.
Talking with my friends.
I feel hopeful that when I become rested I will feel better.
I feel hopeful when I think of tomorrow and know "this, too, will pass."
I feel hopeful when I remember time brings healing.
Seeing compassion in others at work.
My dog.
Having a meal with friend and family.
Remembering that I have made it through the long hard year of illness.
Children give me hope.
When I see others share their inner light.
Nature.
Community.
Loved ones--knowing that I am loved.
Experience-knowing that this too shall pass.
Love.
Sunshine.
Hugs.
Crafting.
The joy and innocence of my son.
Sunrise.
Young children.
Birds.
Dogs.
Trees.
My family.
Giggles of children.
Sunlight pouring in on me in the late afternoon--from light years away.
Religious heritage that honors the Eternal Spirit.
Love--all around us in people and nature.
The repetition and cycles of life ever renewing itself.
Love of family and friends (including cats).
Music.
Memories of family.
Thoughts of my grandchildren.
Close and dear friends.
The promise of good beginnings.
Family.
Friends.
DUUF.
Universe-Nature
Animals
Creativity.
Helping, building, solving.
Being useful.
Love and strength of family.
Living in community, connecting with other people.
Letting myself be remembered...to remember.
To realign myself with truth.
Family.
All the people who love me.
Thinking about a person or two.
Knowing that everything ends.
Kind people.
My family and friends.
My nephew.
Going to my yoga class.
Walking in nature.
Looking at the stars.
Being at DUUF.
A hope for a better world.
A hope that people would get along.
Upbeat music.
Thinking about people doing good.
Seeing happy young people and engaged elders.
Playing with a dog or cat.
Forgiveness.
Friends/family.
God.
Remembering.
Companions.
Music.
Dog kisses.
Walk in the woods. Hiking with dog.
The ocean.
Like-minded friends.
Family.
Children laughing.
A rose blooming in winter (I saw one this morning!) and daffodils that bloom through the snow.
Pam's voice and words of wisdom and compassion.
Inspiring leaders who try to make this world a better place.
Music in general and songs of hope ("Comfort Me").
What gives me hope is knowing that we are not alone, that we are all connected and part of a whole.
Bike ride.
Walk.
Time in garden.
Family and friends.
Life.
My TB test was negative.
Music.
Watching YouTube.
Friends and family.
Sundays at DUUF.
Sharing laughs with friends and family.
My sister's sense of humor.
My daughter's attitude about life!
Our dogs--playing with them and relaxing with them.
Being home with my husband.
My family.
My husband.
Thanks for company.
DUUF.